Friday, March 13, 2009

A farewell to DA*

That's it, I've done it: I sold my Pentax DA* lenses! The DA* 16-50/2.8 and the DA* 50-135/2.8 have left my home forever. And why? Just because I wasn't using them anymore. After going back to using fixed focal length lenses, I am just unable to use a zoom. It sounds pretentious, I know, but it's the honest truth.

My attitude towards taking a photo is quite different whether I'm using a set of primes or a zoom. With the latter, the process is more careless, I'm less aware of the composition, of the importance of choosing the most appropriate shooting position. Some people think that the expression "zooming with your feet" is just a joke, but it makes a lot of sense to me.

Another thing is image quality, which is noticeably better with fixed focals, when compared to most zooms. Still, my former DA* zooms actually produced quite good results. Both were excellent at 50mm. The 16-50/2.8 performed reasonably well at shorter focal lengths and was a very versatile lens. As an added advantage, the minimum focusing distance was quite short, allowing for nice close-up work. This lens got a bad reputation in the photo forums, apparently due to faulty quality control leading to some defective samples. But I think some "mass hysteria" is also partly responsible for this... The 50-135/2.8, on the other hand, has apparently received consensual approval.

I'm showing below a couple of photos taken with each lenses, as a kind of farewell post.

Pentax K10D + DA* 16-50/2.8

Pentax K10D + DA* 50-135/2.8

No comments: