Friday, March 6, 2009

Flash at twilight

Pentax K10D + Zeiss Planar 50/1.4

I've mentioned before my intention to attempt using flash in low daylight conditions. These photos were taken at twilight with the Pentax AF-540 flash mounted on the camera shoe. With manual lenses, TTL just doesn't work. So that's a trial and error procedure to get an appropriate exposure, which is fine with me. With the camera on manual mode, I measured the exposure for the background (about 1/10 - 1/30 second at f8 or f11) and set the flash on manual, adjusting the power ratio in order to get an appropriate exposure. The lowest setting (1/64) ended up working fine, due to the short distance.

Pentax K10D + Zeiss Planar 50/1.4

The results came out nicely, in my opinion, even though the flash presence is quite obvious. I must try off-camera flash now. Of course, the wireless mode on the AF-540 doesn't work with manual lenses... I'll have to start looking for compatible wireless triggers on the net. I've seen good reviews on the FlashWaves system. Does anyone have experience with this?

No comments: