Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Path into the water


Sometimes I am so convinced of the excellence of a certain scene that I spend dozens of shots on it. More often than not, all the photos turn out to be quite dull and end up being deleted or forgotten in hard drive limbo. Some other times I take a single casual shot of a vaguely interesting subject, and the visualization on the computer screen reveals an unsuspected potential and an excellent photo is made.

I admire those photographers who are able to visualize the final photo in all detail before actually pressing the shutter button. My work is more intuitive than rational. I have some idea of the kind of image that may come from a particular framing, perspective and choice of camera settings. But, in post-processing, I often create something quite different from what I originally had in mind. Standing behind the camera is only half of the fun in the photographic process.

The two photos in this post are some of the (few) examples when the outcome actually pretty much coincided with my initial idea. I thought this scenario would yield good photos. And I believe it did.

Olympus E-P2 + Panasonic Lumix 20/1.7

No comments: