Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Cheap "studio" lighting

These photos were made in an improvised studio, using two 100W tungsten projectors (bought at a hardware store) mounted on low-cost tripods, a black card as background and some of my wife's flowers. The motivation came from a post by Cynthia Farr-Weinfeld on her "Photo Quest" blog. Her experiments (and nice results) with a few tulips and a similar setup made me want to try.


Pentax K10D + Zeiss Sonnar 85/2.8 + extension tube

One of the projectors was placed above and slightly behind the flowers. The other was next to the camera. I used a light dimmer on the second one, so that I could balance the shadows created by the first projector. I used ISO 400 and f11 or f16 for the shots. The results were quite promising. The undiffused light creates harsh shadows, but this brings out the texture of the petals. I hope to be able to try this again soon and work more on composition and light source placement.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awwww, thanks Frank! I love the post and your blog--I think you did really well with your cheap studio lighting too! Keep up the "student of light" work! Cindy

FM said...

Thanks Cindy. And I'll keep visiting your blog for fresh ideas!