Monday, December 29, 2008

Evening dew

Pentax K10D + Zeiss Planar 50/1.4


As I mentioned before, I believe that high ISO performance is THE major argument in favor of large sensor SLRs. The Pentax K10D performs very well up to ISO 400, but above that the visible noise starts to interfere with image sharpness and an unattractive blotchy grain shows up in the underexposed areas.

The photo above was taken late in the afternoon, hand held at ISO 400, in one of those stressful situations when a photographer has only a few moments to take his shots, before the dimming daylight disappears for good. The way the light refracted within the dew drops, making them standout from the leaves, was what attracted me. But I didn't try enough compositions and so the results were a bit disappointing. In addition, some of the images would benefit from a higher depth of field, but I used only f5.6 or f8 because of the low light.

Does this mean I'm desperate for a full frame Pentax? Not really. I'll just have to practice using my AF-540 flash as a complement for my close up photography...

1 comment:

Robin said...

I do particularly like this photo, the light in water droplets to be more precise